Welcome to Year 6
Now that your child is in Year 6, they are the top of the ‘Upper School’ at Elmlea Juniors and will work closely with Year 5 across the academic year, studying the same overarching topics and take part in some similar projects.
A key focus of Year 6 is being a role model to others. Year 6 will be important buddies to Year 3 (who will be new to the school) and later in the year – Reception children. Alongside this, each child is expected to take on some extra responsibilities including being an office, library, computer or PE monitor.
We also prioritise developing your child’s independence in preparation for secondary school. We aim to nurture this through encouraging the children to take responsibility for their learning in school and at home, including having the correct equipment and meeting deadlines.
Within our year group, there are 3 classes where most teaching and learning happens but we may change classes for maths lessons.
A weekly typical timetable
Throughout the year, we have various curriculum weeks and whole school events that occur. Week-to-week, your child’s timetable may vary, but some key elements remain such as daily, morning English and maths lessons. Alongside this, they will have sessions on reading, spelling, grammar, handwriting, PSHE or Circle Time.
In the afternoon, we focus on the wider curriculum and pride ourselves at Elmlea on giving your child a broad and balanced curriculum. Please visit ‘Our Curriculum’ pages for more information.
- PE days are on Monday and Thursday for Year 6 in 2023-24. (Thursday and Friday for 6LS)
Things to remember each week
All Year 6 pupils need to remember to:
* Come to school wearing PE kits on their PE days
* Bring in their reading book and to take it home at the end of each day
* To complete weekly homework tasks and submit them by Thursday morning.
* To bring in a water bottle and small pencil case (to be kept in class)
* To ensure all school uniform and other items are clearly labelled with their full name.