Welcome to Year 2!
Below is a brief summary of some of the key points of information for the parents of Year 2 pupils. As the last year of the Infant School, we work closely with Year 3 across the academic year to ensuring transition to the Junior School at the end of the year is successful.
Our Year 2 Classes and Staff-
Within our year group, there are 3 classes: 2V, 2M and 2SA
A Typical Weekly Timetable –
Throughout the year, we have various curriculum weeks and whole school events that occur. However, an example of a typical weekly timetable of lessons is attached below. Each class schedules their weeks slightly differently but key things for parents to be aware of are:
All of Year 2 – PE sessions take place for all classes on a Tuesday.
Homework Expectation –
In Year 2 we set a variety of activities for homework. As a minimum we always set weekly spellings, daily reading and a termly homework linked to the class topic.
Key Homework Items To Be Aware Of:
Reading Records: Pupils must read at least five times a week with parents and this should be reflected within the Reading Records. These must be completed and signed by parents, at least 5 times a week.
Weekly spellings: this is set vis Seesaw on a Thursday and is due back before the Wednesday. Pupils should upload their completed spellings to Seesaw. At the end of each term they will be tested on the spellings they have learnt throughout the term.
Doodle Maths: Children should be logging into this weekly to help improve their maths skills.
Things To Remember Each Week –
All Year 2 pupils need to remember to:
• Come to school wearing PE bottoms and shoes on their PE days.
• Bring in their reading books and records each day, they should then be taken home at the end of each day.
• To upload a picture of their completed spellings homework to Seesaw on or before Wednesday each week.
• To bring in a water bottle and a small bag to house their belongings in.
• To ensure all school uniform and other items are clearly labelled with their full name.
Ways To Support Learning At Home –
Speak to your class teacher if you would like specific ways to support learning at home. However, general steps to take are:
• Help with weekly spelling practice (a copy of both the Statutory Work List and Year 2 Spelling Overview are attached below.)
• Read with your child each week (see suggested booklist for inspiration and guided reading support sheet for key questions to ask when reading.)
• Practice maths using doodle maths online.
Most importantly, please speak to your child about what they are learning in class and talk to them about lessons they are enjoying or those which they may need a little more help with.
Please speak to your class teacher if you would like any further information about any of the items listed above.