Welcome to Year 4!
As the last year of the ‘Lower School’ at Elmlea Juniors, Year 4 works closely with Year 3 across the academic year, completing the same topics and projects as a phase team. Within our year group, there are 3 classes.
A Typical Weekly Timetable–
Throughout the year, we have various curriculum weeks and whole school events that occur. However, an example of a typical weekly timetable of lessons is attached below. Each class schedules their week slightly differently but key things for parents to be aware of are as outlined in the typical timetable below.
In Year 4, we set a variety of weekly activities for homework. Sometimes these can range from creative projects or Science experiments but as a minimum, we always set weekly spellings and times-tables to practise; daily reading, and a grammar or maths activity.
Key Homework Items To Be Aware Of:
* Reading Records: Pupils must read at least five times a week with a parent and this should be reflected within the Reading Record. These must be completed, and signed by parents, at least 5 times a week.
* Homework: this is set via Seesaw on a Friday and is due back on a Wednesday
* Weekly spellings: every Friday, pupils will be tested upon the words that they have practised for homework
*Times-tables: across the week, pupils will receive a short times-tables test (or similar activity) on the class’ focus times-table.
Things To Remember Each Week-
All Year 4 pupils need to remember to:
* Come to school wearing PE kits on their PE days
* Bring in their reading book and to take it home at the end of each day
* To upload a picture of their completed Reading Record and Homework entries to Seesaw on/before Monday
* To bring in a water bottle and pencil case (to be kept in class)
* To ensure all school uniform and other items are clearly labelled with their full name
Ways To Support Learning At Home-
Speak to your class teacher if you would like specific ways to support learning at home. However, general steps to take are:
*Help with weekly spelling practise (a copy of both the Statutory Word Lists and Year 4 Spelling Overview are attached below.)
*Read with your child each week (see suggested booklist for inspiration and guided reading support sheet for key questions to ask when reading)
* Practise times-tables via TTRs but also speak to the Year 4 team for ideas of games to play
Most importantly, please speak to your child about what they are learning in class and talk to them about lessons they are enjoying or those which they may need a little help with.
Please speak to your class teacher if you would like any further information about any of the items listed above.